Updated: Jul 9, 2019
Have you ever had one of those meals, when visiting a friend, that you just keep drooling over for years to come? I've been drooling over my friend Linda's shrimp and coconut curry ever since she made it for my family a few years ago. Since my kids and I are studying Ancient India right now in our homeschool, I thought it was finally time to re-create this meal at home.
When Linda shared her recipe with me, it was very free-form: throw in a little of this and a little of that. No amounts listed. I enjoyed filling in the details to create this recipe, and my whole family was in love with the flavor. I hope your family enjoys it, too.
Shrimp and Coconut Curry
1&1/2 Tb unrefined coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tb tsp Celtic sea salt
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 baby bok choy, chopped, with the green and white parts separated
2 carrots, chopped
2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp Madras curry powder (Sun brand has outstanding flavor)
One 15-ounce can of full fat coconut milk
1/2 pound shrimp (deveined, but with tails still on)
1. In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with 1&1/2 tsp salt, and saute for 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime, chop the bell peppers, carrots, and bok choy, making sure to separate the green and white parts of the bok choy.
3. Add the peppers, carrots, and green parts of the bok choy to the skillet. Sprinkle the curry powder and 1/2 tsp salt into the skillet. Saute 10 minutes.
4. In the meantime, mince the garlic. Shake up the can of coconut milk and remove the lid.
5. Add the garlic and green bok choy to the skillet. Saute for just a minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
6. Stir the coconut milk into the skillet. Taste the sauce and add more salt to taste. Simmer about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, and reducing the heat if the sauce starts bubbling too strongly.
7. Add the shrimp to the skillet. Cook for about 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally, just until the shrimp is nicely pink on all sides.
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you use these links, your price remains the same, but I may earn a commission. Thanks for supporting this site!